Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics

Please tell me you watched the men's 4 x 100 m freestyle relay Sunday night!! Marc and I aren't really into swimming but we are into the Olympics this year. As the race started we both tensed up a little bit. I don't know why I do this, but I kind of kick my legs a little bit thinking it will somehow make them swim faster. When Leezak (spelling?) made the turn and was on the French guys heels Marc and I both stopped breathing. If you haven't seen the replay in slow motion a million times then you're missing out. I still can't believe we won. It was crazy. I jumped up off the couch with a huge celebratory fist pump. Marc had the lap top in his lap so he stayed seated. It was a great time to be an American.

Please tell me you watched the opening ceremonies!! With every new thing the Chinese did it solidified my thought that we might not be able to pull something like that off. I can't believe the printing block things were people. The little boy that walked with Yao Ming was just adorable and kind of inspiring. I was going to say heartbreaking but it was his situation that was heartbreaking, not him. The final torch bearer was crazy!! I watched that part with George and Betsy. When he got to the top of the stadium and pulled one of the side cords off to give him the angle he needed I thought he was going to fall. It took a few minutes for our hearts to get back to a normal beat. And the fire works . . . WOW! I wish NBC hadn't cut to commercial. I would have loved to watch the whole thing. It was just over impressive.

Why are we into the Olympics this year as opposed to other years? The 2004 Olympics fell at the time of our wedding. Actually our wedding fell at the time of the Olympics. I can remember watching a few things on our honeymoon but lets be honest, we were on our honeymoon. We didn't watch the Olympics but we sure didn't miss Monday Night Football pre-season. During the 2000 Olympics I was working in Colorado and our TV didn't get any stations since we were living on a mountain. All we could do is watch movies which is why I know almost every word to 10 Things I Hate About You (RIP Heath). Marc didn't see the Olympics because he was too busy explaining to his parents why he had flunked out of UNT.

We're older now, we move a little slower in the evenings therefore we are watching the Olympics. I was debating last night whether I should go walk around the block a few times or not (walking at night helps me sleep, it's a pregnancy thing). When NBC showed a little clip of the 33 year old gymnast competing for Germany, I decided I could get my 28 year old butt of the couch and walk a little.

- Carlye Jo

No comments: