Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day 4 ended with the Stones and not the Rolling kind

Day 4 was insane! Georgia started the day with a pretty big accident in the kitchen that again devastated her. We went on to Stroller Strides and she did great!! Held it the whole time. When we got home I didn't put her on the potty right away and she had another big accident. I felt guilty because I didn't take care of her and give her the chance to be successful. And then after that we had our first #2 accident. We're not giving up because I know she can do it. Honestly, I'd rather wash panties and pants than diapers any day.

So then . . . . . I had joked around with my Stroller Strides girls that I had to be dilated and that a foot had to be sitting right on my cervix. When Georgia went down for a nap and I was really really really uncomfortable. I ordered Prince Caspian on PPV, got my Becky Bag (Bindels know what that is) and laid down. I kept getting more uncomfortable and my back starting hurting more and more. I finally got to the point where I called Marc, told him to come get me because we were going to Dr. Brown, called my new SUPER FRIEND Joann to come sit with Georgia and then called Dr. Brown to let him know I was coming in. A few miles outside of Waxahachie my back starting hurting worse than any pain I've ever known and I threw up. We got to Dr. Brown's office in 28 minutes, a record time trust me.

Dr. Brown examined me (I'm 1 cm dilated by the way, nothing big but just 9 more to go in 5 weeks) and when he touched my back on the left side he knew what was going on. I clued into it, too, and knew it was kidney stones and nothing to do with labor. They wheeled me over to the hospital (his office is right next door) and by this time I was crying and in terrible pain. They took me up to L&D so that they could monitor the baby who was doing just fine and still moving a ton. I threw up again in triage and after a few minutes finally got my first round of pain medication.

From there I'm not really sure what all went on. I know I had a sonogram of my kidneys and got checked into a room. During that time my pain medication wore off and we were back to what Marc is calling 'Vietnam Pain'. At some point a urologist came to see me and told Marc I had kidney stones in both kidneys but it was my left kidney that had a ureter that was being blocked by a stone. He also said I had one about 5 cm big in there. WHOA! My mom came and kept Georgia and Marc went home to get a few things for himself and relieve Betsy who had come to relieve Joann. While he was gone my IV pain meds had worn off and I had been asleep for 2 hours so I hadn't been pushing my little pain medicine button for myself. 'Vietnam Pains' were back. The crappy thing about getting kidney stones when you're 35 weeks pregnant is that they can only give you a few kinds of pain medicine and they can only give you so much. I had all of my allotted doses of Stadol, Delotted and then another one that started with and F that's not Finegrin.

I passed some stones at either 2 a.m. or 4 a.m. Marc and I can't remember. I could actually see one of the stones. You always hear that kidney stones are as painful as labor and that's totally true. If you know anyone that's had them give them a huge hug the next time you see them and then pray that you never get them. My OB just came in and said I'm staying another night just so they can monitor things and because there was a bacteria in the stone I passed.

- Carlye Jo

P.S. If you came to see me in the hospital when Georgia was born I'm in the exact same room! Kind of cool huh?

10 comments:

Tina & Scott said...

whew, bless your heart, Carlye! I hope you are feeling better today! Take it easy and congrats on your new one...boy or girl??? Tell Marc hi for me!!! -Tina

amy said...

Carlye, I can't believe you had to go through that! Huge hugs and prayers for no more pain! Call me if you need anything!

Lisa Parsons said...

Oh Carlye I can't even imagine! Please let me know if I can do anything to help...I can watch Georgia if you need to rest or something. My kidney's were infected once and it was the worst pain ever, but I can't imagine being pregnant with stones. Feel better!!!

Nothing said...

I'm glad you are ok. Yes, definitely take it easy and let me know if you need anything.

Kendra said...

WOW...can't imagine...You get all better:)

Maggie, Todd, Jackson, and Tucker too! said...

Hey girl, I know the pain you are in! I had kidney stones when I was 20 weeks preggo with Jackson....pretty much the same experience, excruciating pain, throw up, etc. SO GLAD to know you are feeling better! Be sure to let us know if you need anything at all! :)

the wyrick's said...

oh girl...i can relate!!! i had kidney stones during the middle of trying to throw Atlee's 1st birthday! if you need any advice or just want to compare stories, don't hesitate to call. hope you are on the road to recovery!

Unknown said...

OMG...I can't imagine. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. You are in my prayers, girl!

Debi & Garrett

ladymann said...

Oh Carlye! I feel terrible for you! I had kidney stones in high school twice and each time I thought I was dying. I couldn't even imagine having them and being pregnant. I never passed mine- they lasered them both times.
I hope you are doing much better now:)

ladymann said...

Carlye I feel horrible for you! I had kidney stones twice in high school and both times they lasered them out. To this day that was the worst pain I had ever been in and I couldn't imagine being pregnant with kidney stones!
I hope you feel better.