Monday, February 23, 2009

Middle of the night post

It's 4:32 a.m. and I am awake. Just a part of pregnancy. Can I tell you how thankful I am that I don't have to go to a job tomorrow morning?? If I am too tired to go anywhere all I have to do is hang on till 1:30 p.m. and then I can take at least a 2 hour nap. That alone right there is worth being a stay at home mom!

Here are a few thoughts I'd like to share since it's the middle of the night and we're up talking.

Georgia went to Awanas at our church last night for the first time. When did my baby get so big that she's able to do this stuff? It is a little frustrating that she's not big enough yet to tell me every detail of what she did while she was there. Don't know if you've realized it yet but I'm into details. When I drop her off at the nursery during church I normally don't tell her goodbye or anything because I don't want her to get upset. I did the same thing with Awanas. I need to re-think this. She pretty much runs to the room because she thrives on socializing, learning and the yummy snacks they provide.

I think I am going to start kissing her goodbye for two reasons:

1. I'm pretty sure she can handle it.
2. I need a goodbye kiss.

When I went to pick her up from Awanas she was sitting at a table with some other kids eating Pirates Booty. If you don't know what it is, pick up a bag at your local Central Market, Whole Foods or some Tom Thumbs and enjoy. I recommend the one with spinach and kale but that's beside the point. When I called her name, she looked up at me, smiled and waved and went right back to what she was doing. I kept calling her name and telling her it was time to go but she didn't want anything to do with it. I guess that's what I get for not keeping all those chip and cracker type snacks in my house. Ask anyone in Stroller Strides, Georgia is a mooch and loves any snack anyone will give her.

It took a good 10 minutes to get her to leave. She didn't get upset, she just didn't come to me. I had fun visiting with her leaders and I was one of the first ones there so we weren't in a hurry to leave and they weren't in a hurry to get rid of us.

Next subject: When #2 comes.

Marc and I have been preparing ourselves as much as we can to do natural childbirth using the Bradley Method. We've been reading up and have been practicing a few things. We didn't take the class because we're cheap/broke . . . but happy.

The main thing we are getting from what we're learning is relaxation. I feel like there are a few things I won't be able to prepare for like what position will be most comfortable and what type of music I'll really want to listen to if any at all. But there are a few things I do know we'll do.

The first is that both our cell phones will either be off or totally on silence once we're in the hospital and settled in. If you try to call one of us be prepared to go straight to voice mail until #2 is here and we're all smiling. No text messaging either.

The second thing I know we'll do is head straight to the hospital as soon as we know it's for sure happening. This isn't typical for natural childbirth from everything I've read and from my friends who've shared their natural stories with me. The reason we'll go right away is two fold:
I'm planning on delivering almost 30 minutes away from my house because I loved my OB with Georgia and am using him again and I won't be able to relax until all the details of "home" are dealt with.

Since we're going to be driving we'll have to get Georgia taken care of with a properly packed bag, call my mom to get on the road, get my bag finished, get Marc packed, drive to Waxahachie safely and slowly (no speeding tickets) all while I'm trying to relax and let the contractions work their muscular magic. Can you see where I'd want to get all this over with as soon as possible? I feel like the sooner I'm in the hospital, the sooner I can let all those details go and just focus on the task at hand. The delivery rooms at Baylor in Waxahachie are gorgeous, much prettier than my house so why not go there quickly? Gorgeous hard wood floors, beautiful lighting and a better stereo system than what we have.

My doctor is really great. He said I don't have to be in the bed until the end and prefers for me to be up and moving . . . if that's what I want at the moment. I actually wrote out a birth plan for this kid and he said everything on there was great.

When I had Georgia, my water broke at home and I didn't feel a contraction until I was totally checked into the hospital and sitting in the bed. I was already dilated to a 4 and moving quickly. The rumor is that the second kid goes even faster. That's what I'm betting on. I was only in labor 6 1/2 hours with Georgia. I wouldn't complain if this one is quicker. My dream is to get to the hospital and already be at a 6 but that is just a dream. I've given this whole process to the Lord and am resting on His wisdom. This child is a gift from Him so I'm going to listen to Him and trust His plan for this delivery.

On a different note, I saw a sign today that read, "I buy houses!" on the first line. The second line read, "Datmonkey.com". My first thought was, "Is he like a funny Vietnamese guy?". Don't know if you'll laugh at that but I did.

I hope this blog finds you well. If you've read this far, thank you. You're a better friend than I am. If a blog doesn't have pictures and isn't a heart wrenching true story, I normally don't read it. Please don't let that deter you from blogging. If you read mine I promise to make a good effort at reading yours.

At what point of insomnia do you just bite the bullet and start reading Twilight again?

4 comments:

Amanda Bindel said...

Topic 1: I know just what you mean about wanting to know every detail of what she's doing at Awanas. I'm the same way with Caroline! She tells me more than the other kids at preschool tell their parents, so I feel like a little spy into their lives. :-)

Topic 2: I like your plan. I enjoyed the hospital, too, and you have such a supportive OB, it will be great. People told me to visualize what I wanted to happen. Visualize yourself dilating to a six in that carride. I won't bother you with texts while you're laboring. I just want to know if I have a new niece or nephew!

erin and dutch said...

you are too funny. i read it from beginning to end...and enjoyed it. true friend, thats me. almost done with new moon, bella is in italy and edward is trying to "expose" himself..

The Trimble's said...

I read it from beginning to end too and enjoyed it too. I'm trying to take notes from all you mommies so I'll be prepared when it's my turn! : )

CJAS said...

I just love your blogs Carlye :) LOL !!
Thank you for sharing !
Maybe next time you can start writing your own version of twilight :) I'm sure you would come up with a great story ! Oh and if you need help with Georgia when # 2 comes just let me know I'll be happy to help.